Water is one of our planet's most valuable resources. Without it, life on Earth, including humans, animals, and plants, would cease to exist. There are many areas throughout the world that don't have enough water to sustain life and this is already upsetting the planet’s ecosystem.
Fortunately, this isn't the case in the UK, but that doesn't mean that we can't do our part to help conserve water. According to independent statistical survey site, Statista, the UK is home to one of the best water supply and sewerage infrastructures in the world. It has a satisfaction rating of 73 percent in Great Britain alone.
The Energy Saving Trust reveals that "showers are now the largest user of water in the home. Across Britain, we use in the order of 840 billion litres each year, and spend around £2.3 billion on heating water for showers. We can report that, every year, more than 740 billion litres – enough to fill 300,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools – is flushed down the loo. And our dishwashers and washing machines use 360 billion litres each year, costing households £1.6 billion in electricity bills."
- Each person uses about 142 litres of water each day
- The average household uses 349 litres of water each day
- Showers are the biggest water user in the house (25%), followed by lavatories (22%).
- On average, each individual takes 4.4 showers and 1.3 baths each week.
- We use the washing machine on average 4.7 times each week, but only about a quarter of us select a 30°C degree wash.
There are ways that we can reduce the amount of water that we use, and they don’t take much thought or effort. In fact, many take just a brief second to save hundreds of litres of water every year.
With that being said, we are going to take a look at 20 ways that you can save water in your home today. Let's get started:
- Check your toilet for leaks.
- Put a plastic bottle in your toilet tank.
- Take shorter showers.
- Install water-saving shower heads or flow restrictors.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Turn off the water while shaving.
- Use your automatic dishwasher for full loads only.
- Use your automatic washing machine only for full loads only.
- Don't let the faucet run while you clean vegetables.
- If you wash dishes by hand, don't leave the water running for rinsing.
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks.
- Water your lawn only when it needs it.
- Deep soak your lawn.
- Water during the cool parts of the day.
- Plant drought-resistant trees and plants.
- Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants.
- Use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks, and steps.
- Don't run the hose while washing your car.
- Tell your children not to play with the hose and sprinklers.
- Check for leaks in exterior pipes, hoses faucets, and couplings.
Contact PGS Services
To have a team of dedicated account managers and experienced trade experts assist you today, contact PGS Services today. PGS offers services covering a wide range of property maintenance trade skills. With a focus on quality workmanship and exceptional customer service, you will always find the right tradesman for your needs.
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.